A First Time for Everything

     Hi to whoever is reading this! 


    There is a first time for everything. This is my first time writing a blog, so this will be a work in progress.

    While this is not the first time I have been a "senior", it is the first time that I have felt like one. I was one of those 2020 high school graduates who had their senior year ripped away from them 2 months before graduation. I still think about those days a lot, I think about my senior lacrosse season, all of the friends I made, all of the memories, and yet I still wish I could go back and change some things, but that is growth and that is life. 

Three years have gone by since then, and I am now a "senior" once again. However, this comes with much more responsibility and purpose. Coming off of a very productive professional summer internship with Medical Mutual of Ohio, I am now in the process of applying and interviewing for full time employment after I graduate in May. This has been very exciting time for me as I look to continuing my professional journey and try to network as much as possible. 

Networking, this was something that I took for granted and really did not realize the power of until I got to the office on my first day at Medical Mutual. My colleague and work partner, Carl Smith, took the time to have lunch with me on my first day. This was a little nerve wracking at first, but I quickly grew comfortable around my team after I was introduced and lunch went really well. During my time at lunch with Carl, he introduced me to a piece of advice that I will carry with me the rest of my life, "just ask." Just ask questions, ask people how they are, what they do, about their jobs, etc. but just be curious! 

Another large responsibility that comes with being a "senior" is being a "senior" on the men's lacrosse team here at ONU. We are held to a very high standard on campus and are trained to become great leaders and even better people on or off the field. I am excited to lead this great group of men this year and I look forwards to our 2023-24 campaign. Currently, we are in our offseason conditioning and training with fall ball right around the corner. 

There will be a lot of firsts this year, and these are just a few of the big ones. But, I am stoked for this school year and eager for the future! 






    

Comments

  1. Hey Drew! It is my first time writing a blog too. We are in this together! I cannot express how important making connections are. Sounds like you have done a great job. Good luck with your senior season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also a 2020 graduate! I am glad your internship went well and I can't wait to hear more about it! Wishing you the best of luck during your senior season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drew,
    I love the two simple words you brought back from your internship "just ask". I cannot agree more because I myself believe that the ones who will not ask will also not receive, in some cases at least. The main point being that doors will often open when just asking. Best of Luck this season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Drew! I'm glad that you brought up your senior year of high school with covid as this happened the same year for me aswell. The bright side is that you bounced back with your internship and you have another chance at a good senior year! I wish you the best this year and hope the men's lacrosse team does well. I hope the job searching for full time employment goes well too and I wish you luck this year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment